It’s strange how life happens sometimes. I really wanted this to work out and have a consistent schedule, but my life has been extremely hectic for the past two months – moving about 4 times, still without a permanent place to live. Luckily, I’ve been taken in by two of my best friends who couldn’t be more kind and offered me more than I could ask for. As I sit on this couch with a sleeping cat to my left, and dog to my right I know things will find a way to work themselves out. I’m ultimately leaving it up to the energy of the universe and doing as much as I can to move things along.
This blog was intended to be about wellness, but in reality it’s hard sometimes to maintain that wellness when you work 7 days a week with long varying hours. It has not been easy the past two months mentally – definitely taken a huge toll on my mental health, but I know things always come back around. It’s a huge cycle for me. I’ll admit I was never consistent with these things but they absolutely did help me along the way through:
- Support System: Literally THE most important thing I need when going through my depression. Luckily, at both my jobs we are like family and sharing feelings is something that really got me through – simply just letting someone know how you’re feeling can lift some of the weight off your shoulders.
- Diet: I love to eat plant based healthy meals, and if I’m being even more honest – I’m an emotional eater. I’ve fallen for many junk food options when choosing what to eat and I know they make me feel worse, but after eating something that is nutrient dense I feel better because I’m giving my body what it needs.
- Baths: Okay, I know some people think baths are gross but I LOVE them. Especially a hot bath with salts and essential oils – sorry no bath bombs here. The warmth and relaxing smell (depending on the oils) really calms me down and soothes my body after long days.
- Essential Oils: Like I said, I use these in my bath but also literally on a daily basis. Considering it’s the main part of one of my jobs, I have to, but they are a wonderful thing. Lavender & Chamomile for stress, Clary Sage + Orange for focus, and my personal fave Bergamot. I’ll post more about this eventually.
- Exercise: I absolutely do not do enough if any of this BUT I do know that when I have exercised it has really brought up my mood drastically. I really need to start – even if it means running or yoga every week.
- Music: If you know me, then you know I am very into music. It’s one of my favourite things to talk about and I am always discovering new artists. I’ve gotten through these past few months with my music. Some artists’ work who helped me are: LIGHTS, LÉON, VÉRITÉ, Allie X, and so many more.
This is certainly not an elaborate or exhaustive list but I just really needed to get this out there since it’s really cathartic for me to write my feelings and share them even though I think no one will care or listen, so thanks if you got this far!